- Our brain develops because of the experiences we have. The more things we experience, the more our brain makes new and stronger connections.
- This also means that our "intelligence" is not set at birth, but changes throughout our lives!
- Moving and being active helps our brain grow!
- Sleep is VITAL to good learning.
- Learning how to make friends, cooperate, be creative, and problem solve creates bigger connections in our brain than any "academic" work. If we learn these skills first, the academic skills will be much easier to learn.
- Talking about our learning requires many areas of the brain to work together.
This means that in 1D, we will be talking, moving, learning, and growing in many ways! I will try to bring learning "to life" as often as I can, and encourage deep thinking and problem solving. We will be learning about friendship, kindness, cooperation, and many other topics (social-emotional learning). We will be working in groups, creating, and asking questions.
At home, I encourage you to do the following:
- Talk and spend time as a family
- Try new things together
- Encourage creative play - building with blocks, playing outside, etc.
- Make sure your child is getting plenty of sleep each night!
- Continue reading together and talk about what you read.
Please let me know if you have any questions about this! I look forward to seeing you all at conferences next week.
-Ms. D. :)